Let’s just say I am having an Oprah moment. Over the last couple of months, I have been in a very reflective mood (I am not on the same level as Deepak Chopra but you get my drift). I have been analysing areas of my life but in particular the career journey that I have taken thus far although I am still very much on that journey.
And in the process, I started to think about all the things that I would tell my 21 year old self; the young graduate who probably took herself a bit too seriously. There are so many things that seemed insurmountable at the time but I overcame it! It did get better. And therein lies the beauty of retrospective reflection (beautiful alliteration, I know) you are also given the opportunity to celebrate the victories and triumphs, the highs and lows and most importantly it teaches you to be thankful. So here are the top 20 things that I would tell my 21 year old self and I would urge you to do the same; I found it to be quite therapeutic actually (well I am cultured like that ;-))
- Don’t take yourself too seriously; laugh at those ‘awkward turtle’ moments (Ade you’re insane ;-))
- Stop agonizing over mistakes; it is not open heart surgery; it can always be rectified.
- Volunteer carefully. Being indispensable is one thing but being everything to everyone is another.
- Ask for help. ‘Superwoman’ no longer exists. Being strong also means knowing when to ask for help.
- Never despise small beginnings. Every job, every task, every event will all work together for your good. The dots do eventually connect. I promise 😉
- Believe in yourself and never allow anyone to make you question your capabilities; don’t give them that power; you are amazing and that is not debatable (thanks Wade ;-))
- Speak up! You will realise more times than not that you were right!
- Pull up a chair and tuck it in! You deserve to be at that table just as much as the next person.
- Keep Calm and Go to Sleep. Give it to God. Never lose a moments rest over work.
- Please. Never ever wear a T.M Lewin shirt to work. As in ever. Unless it is plain black or white. Nothing more to say here.
- ENJOY THE JOURNEY DAMMIT. Stop and appreciate the small victories along the way. Live life.
- Always remember that no situation is permanent; ‘This too shall pass.’
- Chill out!!! It’s not that deep!!! Give your diary a break!!!
- Don’t be an open book. It NEVER has a happy ending. Learn to clip your lips gurrlll.
- God is real. As in seriously. Every problem has a promise. Abandon logic and trust him.
- Not everyone you start the journey with, you will finish with. #FACT.
- Know when to abandon the ship. Not everything is supposed to last forever.
- Get over it!!! No one cares about the tiny imperfections that you choose to magnify!!!
- Always make time for the things you love. It will lead you to discover your passion and purpose.
- Don’t sweat it. God loves His own 🙂
Feel free to share your own lessons that you would tell your younger self! 🙂
Until the next time. xxx